taiwan. no more.
friday morning got back from taiwan yesterday morning. i must say the trip was rather interesting. got to see the pretty and ugly side of the taiwanese populace. what an eye-opener. here's an everyday example:
train station - everyone waits to get onto the train, all rushing at the same time to get to the solitary seat. when they get to the station they want, they all rush out to stand on the right side of the escalator (where they stand and 'enjoy' the ride up/down much like how we're encouraged to stand on the left). they then proceed to take their own leisurely stroll to the fare gate, holding up everyone else behind them. in the midst of all these they:
1. remain ignorant to the people they've elbowed
2. remain ignorant to the people behind them in the fare gate 'queue'
3. are still all smiles when they look at you, realising they've stepped on your toes and then fail to apologise
4. stop in the middle of a queue to fish out their ez-link-styled cards or better yet, to talk on their cell phone
5. attempt to pickpocket you
as far as their famed good service industry is, it's much like japan. very robotic and very much a mockery to say the least. few actually greet you and serve you with a smile. most just go through the motion and it gets very irritating after a while. granted, they've got a heavy japanese influence but surely they can do better by being more original? they fashion industry there is in dire need of a revamp. i saw a guy all decked out in black/white hip-hop stuff that actually looked good. i was impressed till he put on a pink fubu velvet cap. so much for a fashion statement. someone call the fashion police please.
shopping. well. did quite a fair bit. surprised myself even when i bought 3 pairs of shoes and a bag. did loads of shopping for other people too but i think it was all worth it. i was shocked though when a pair of Lee jeans that i was interested in, turned out to cost S$350. i think it's one of those where you have to bathe and sleep in 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
so ok. back to the trip. did a lot of walking (and climbing for that matter). hiked to the top of a hill to catch the skyline and landscape of taipei city, the night markets which started to look all the same to me after two trips to two supposedly very different markets. the most disappointing bit of the trip came during new year. was to catch the fireworks at taipei 101 (the world's tallest building) but the weather conspired to blow the smoke in my direction instead thus obscuring the view of a rather fabulous firework display. it's funny and amazing how i can be so uninterested in the new year celebrations in singapore and yet be the total opposite when i was in taiwan.
so for all the places we went, the food we ate and the shopping we did, taiwan was a great trip (save for the very horrible last day which i shall not talk about lest i flare up and start cursing and swearing again). managed to meet up with arland and his wife too (fyi- the wife, jennifer, started up Awfully Chocolate in taiwan together with local singer Stella). so yeap. that's it about taiwan. too tired to write more about it.
Trademark - I Could Live On Loving You
I need you now
And tomorrow is too late
In you I've found
A million reasons I can't wait anymore
And for me it's now or never
I need to start loving you forever baby
I could live on loving you
Holding kissing touching you
You don't know how long I've waited for you
Holding on so I could
Live on loving you
You heard my voice
Through my silence crying out
I am here
Can you feel me reaching out
With my heart as far as I can go
I'll go on if you let me
Cause I'm trying to let you know oh baby
[Chorus]
Tell me that the smile I see
The angel eyes
Looking back at me
Telling me you are
The only one for me
[Chorus]
train station - everyone waits to get onto the train, all rushing at the same time to get to the solitary seat. when they get to the station they want, they all rush out to stand on the right side of the escalator (where they stand and 'enjoy' the ride up/down much like how we're encouraged to stand on the left). they then proceed to take their own leisurely stroll to the fare gate, holding up everyone else behind them. in the midst of all these they:
1. remain ignorant to the people they've elbowed
2. remain ignorant to the people behind them in the fare gate 'queue'
3. are still all smiles when they look at you, realising they've stepped on your toes and then fail to apologise
4. stop in the middle of a queue to fish out their ez-link-styled cards or better yet, to talk on their cell phone
5. attempt to pickpocket you
as far as their famed good service industry is, it's much like japan. very robotic and very much a mockery to say the least. few actually greet you and serve you with a smile. most just go through the motion and it gets very irritating after a while. granted, they've got a heavy japanese influence but surely they can do better by being more original? they fashion industry there is in dire need of a revamp. i saw a guy all decked out in black/white hip-hop stuff that actually looked good. i was impressed till he put on a pink fubu velvet cap. so much for a fashion statement. someone call the fashion police please.
shopping. well. did quite a fair bit. surprised myself even when i bought 3 pairs of shoes and a bag. did loads of shopping for other people too but i think it was all worth it. i was shocked though when a pair of Lee jeans that i was interested in, turned out to cost S$350. i think it's one of those where you have to bathe and sleep in 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
so ok. back to the trip. did a lot of walking (and climbing for that matter). hiked to the top of a hill to catch the skyline and landscape of taipei city, the night markets which started to look all the same to me after two trips to two supposedly very different markets. the most disappointing bit of the trip came during new year. was to catch the fireworks at taipei 101 (the world's tallest building) but the weather conspired to blow the smoke in my direction instead thus obscuring the view of a rather fabulous firework display. it's funny and amazing how i can be so uninterested in the new year celebrations in singapore and yet be the total opposite when i was in taiwan.
so for all the places we went, the food we ate and the shopping we did, taiwan was a great trip (save for the very horrible last day which i shall not talk about lest i flare up and start cursing and swearing again). managed to meet up with arland and his wife too (fyi- the wife, jennifer, started up Awfully Chocolate in taiwan together with local singer Stella). so yeap. that's it about taiwan. too tired to write more about it.
Trademark - I Could Live On Loving You
I need you now
And tomorrow is too late
In you I've found
A million reasons I can't wait anymore
And for me it's now or never
I need to start loving you forever baby
I could live on loving you
Holding kissing touching you
You don't know how long I've waited for you
Holding on so I could
Live on loving you
You heard my voice
Through my silence crying out
I am here
Can you feel me reaching out
With my heart as far as I can go
I'll go on if you let me
Cause I'm trying to let you know oh baby
[Chorus]
Tell me that the smile I see
The angel eyes
Looking back at me
Telling me you are
The only one for me
[Chorus]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home